17.10.12

Life, Experienc-ed.

The boyfriend and I recently watched the much talked about documentary, Happy.  It was a truly thought-provoking film about what it means to be happy.  Some of it was scientific, citing domapine and other happy 'drugs' and some of it was experiential.  One of the most resonating tidbits that stuck with me is that the happiest people tend to consistently be those that to expose themselves to new experiences and continued learning.  It can be as simple as taking a different route home from work, or picking up a new book.  New experiences give us a rush and are more likely to produce the happy chemicals in our brains.

One of my favorite bloggers, Joanna Goddard, had the same reaction and has created a weekly 'Fall Challenges' series in which each week she challenges her readers to do or try something new.  This week was to give up TV (unfortunately, I failed miserably as the boyfriend and I are knee deep in a Game of Thrones marathon).

Similarly, at the beginning of this year, I had challenged myself to take one 'class' each month of 2012.  I can't tell you how rewarding the process has been. 

I've taken everything from new classes at the gym (Barre Method, Bikram yoga, Zumba) to a Food Discovery Tour of the Lower East Side.

This month's class was a Wine and Cheese course through Artisanal NYC.  We spent a wonderful two hours tasting cheeses, pairing them with wines and learning about the process and regions in which these cheeses are made.




I thouroughly enjoyed myself (though that could just be the wine talking...)  And I've officially decided this is a resoltion I will continue to uphold in 2013.  Experience is truly at the root of all happiness


Next up: Scuba lessons and a Knife Skills course

What new experiences have made you a happier person?  Any suggestions for classes I should take in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment