25.1.11

Time, Wish-ed Away

Sitting at my desk on a cold January day, wishing that 5’oclock would come 8 hours early makes me sad. I never thought that I’d wish my time away. But when I take a step back, I’m simply wishing for time spent another way. Pretending to stare at e-mails like I care, filing things to fill the time, stressing about a typo in yesterdays report are not the things I want to make up my life.

I want sunsets watched from a breezy dock. I want cozy late nights baking and laughing with my baby sister. I want road trips to no where and everywhere, in search of the best strawberry milkshake. I want a candlelit table of friends, littered with empty wine glasses and bread crumbs.
I want a good relationship with an appreciative boss. I want fulfilling work and a comfortable work environment. I want to be financially stable, without having to negotiate between grocery shopping and a glass of wine with a friend. I want purpose. I want more hours for all the good stuff, and less of the not so great. I want my life, and no one else’s.

Sitting at my desk on a cold January day, watching the snow fall outside makes me realize I’m happy. These things are there for me, somewhere—today or down the line. They’re hiding in my pockets and in between my toes. They’re hiding in my inbox and under my nose. They’re there, showering down in big, white fluffy flakes. I just have to catch them as they fall.

PS - That's me.  I told you I'd introduce myself this year.  And today, it just felt right.  Nice to meet you all.

3 comments:

  1. Another brilliant post...thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. i find myself, all to often, wishing the same thing. i think the first part of moving away from it is realizing that we do it and why we do it. here's to a 2011 and being present! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I told you good things were hiding in my inbox! (Your comments.)

    ReplyDelete