5.2.10

90% Convinc-ed

Charles Swindoll is credited for the equation: "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Today began as one of those days where nothing particularly awful happened, but I woke up determined that it was going to be a bad day.  I was turning tiny hiccups into huge emotional dramas just because I felt like it.  About halfway through my second cup of tea--after snapping at my mother, snubbing my roommate, and scowling at the world--I remembered Mr. Swindoll's theory.  So, I gave myself until the last sip of green mint tea to be angry at the world, and then my time was up.  I was going to take my 90% control and use it to my benefit.  

Now I'm not going to tell you that my day immediately turned around, that the birds started chirping outside the 23rd floor window of my office, or that my co-workers were singing and dancing down the hallway to broadway tunes, but I will say that the day was put to much better use than it would have if I focused my energy on frowning.  Sometimes all it takes is a deep breath to refocus on the important things.  Keeping in mind that you always have control over that 90% makes the 10% feel miniscule.  

And, if I may get a little existential here, your 90% may just influence someone else's 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment