2.3.10

Another year pass-ed us by.

Today is Daddy-o's birthday, so naturally we will celebrate with sushi, wine, and Mom's homemade pineapple upside-down cake.  I can't think of a better way to spend a Tuesday evening in March.  As I've mentioned, I love my parents.

Ironically, the milestones of my life are not marked by my own birthdays, but often by those of my parents.  With every year that passes, they are one year older, and I seem to be one year farther away.  This is surely the natural progression of life, but for a species that nutures it's young even well past the legal marker of adulthood, it seems bizarre that we are able to put so much space, both physical and spiritual, between ourselves and our parents.  Today has granted me the opportunity to reflect on my relationship with my Dad.

Dad is...
  • Corny jokes
  • Random, unexpected compliments
  • The $20 casually slipped into my purse before I leave
  • A mid-day email that recounts the sports scores from last night
  • The evenings of take-out suppers that Mom would never have sanctioned
  • Late night algebra tutoring sessions
  • Cheering at the finish line of my first half-marathon
  • My protector
  • The simple answer to the toughest question.
  • Always there.
pic:weheartit

    No comments:

    Post a Comment