11.10.12

wd~50~ed

Speaking of celebrating...

Naturally, we decided the only way to commemorate three years together was to share a 5 course meal of gastronomic wonders at wd~50, a restaurant that has been on my list for quite some time.  The quirky celebrity chef, Wylie Dufresne, is known for his molecular gastronomy techniques in the kitchen, so we couldn't wait to see what he came up with.

We started with a foie gras terrine that looked pretty normal at first glance. But, when we sliced into it, a sweet beet-blood red sauce oozed out onto the plate (symbolism?).  Mix that with the sweet pea 'soil,' a green dust that tasted just like snowpeas, and the candied olives (my favorite), and I'd say this was a pretty banging dish: creamy foie gras, sweet sauce and soil, and salty olives.


Next, came a pressure-cooked pine nut cassoulet with boudin blanc (pork and chicken sausage).  The flavors of this dish were so perfectly balanced, the boyfriend and I both commented we wished we'd had more.



Venison with freeze-dried polenta and an asian pear/fennel slaw was the perfect anchor to the meal.



Dessert featured a carmelized brioche, apricot foam, buttercream ribbon and a lemon thyme sorbet.  WD knocked it out of the park with this one.  I somehow refrained from licking my plate.



Lastly was a black sesame shortbread cookie that had concord grape sorbet hidden inside.  Unfortunately, by this point the cocktails (a delish vodka, guava, mint and champagne cocoction) had caught up with me and I forgot to take a photo.

I hope you enjoy these photos as much as we enjoyed our meal.  If you're ever in NY and looking for an interesting culinary experience, stop by wd~50.  If you're a foodie, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment