24.1.11

Vegg-ed Out.

A little late to be jumping on the healthy New Year's Resolution train, and a little early to be giving up chocolate (again) for lent, I'm chalking my new found healthy attitude up to a few wacky cravings.

This Sunday I had the day to myself--for the first time in a while.  At first I paniced.  How am I going to fill the hours?  Then, before I knew it, I realized I was on one of the best dates I've had in a very long time--with myself!

Me and myself took a chilly walk to knock off a few errands and ended up coming home with (of all things) a box of quinoa. 

I am by no means a vegetarian.  Meat still holds a special place in my heart, and stomach.  But, lately due to budgetary restrictions, some encouragement from a few fellow bloggesses, and a few strange cravings, I have started to incorporate more and more veg-only meals into my diet.

Yesterday's lunch consisted of roasted curry butternut squash and smoky paprika cauliflower served over quinoa (a protein-heavy grain).  I topped the dish with some chopped almonds for crunch.  It was one of the best things I've tasted in a very long time.  I'm trying out the whole food photography thing, so please excuse the close up.



I am not here to tell you that vegetarianism is cool or hip or healthy or environmentally correct.  But I do believe it is the easiest way to save a buck, a few calories, and some cholesterol points. 

Now, anyone out there have another idea of what to do with the rest of my quinoa?

3 comments:

  1. oh this is so yummy-looking!
    it sounds super good, too.
    good picture! don't apologize for it. pretty food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chickpeas and chopped up kale with olive oil. or lentils. or for the very lazy you can add hummus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Becca. The photography thing is very new to me.

    And I have an obsession with kale lately. You're recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete